Saturday, February 27, 2010

Burdick’s California Trichoptera Species List Circa 2000

In 1999, due to post polio syndrome , I ceased all trichoptera work, believing my work would remain on the web site of Cal. State University Biol. Dept. Unfortunately the Dept. closed this website due to lack of anyone willing to maintain it. After a number of years, they set up a new site but did not reestablish the data from the old. I remained unaware of this until 2009. I asked about this and found they believed the old data was there. To make my work available again I set up a blog hoping to link to the new site. Shannon’s illustrations will surely be of value in species recognition. My efforts still contain extensive distribution data denoting material that should be available at the Cal. Acad. Sci.

The determination of the species listed with a couple of exceptions were by Don Denning.On common material he turned this over to me. In his collection a number of specimens were were labeled with genus and a letter or word to area and n.sp. In my collection the specimens he indicated as new were handed similarly. When I prepared the manuscript, I gave them trivial names. I had Shannon draw all of these. In later work, I determined that some were synonyms of known species. Hopefully the drawings will back my decisions. In my list these are indented in same manner as are synonyms of established species.

No comments:

Post a Comment